Mar 28, 2012

Istrakon and shoes saved

This weekend was very unusual as far as my weekends go.
We spent it in Pazin, in the heart of Istra,  at a fantastic sf and fantasy convention called Istrakon we visit every year. 3 days of absolute geekdom, fantastic scenery and culinary delights. What more could a girl want?

I traveled as light as possible, meaning I commandeered only half of a VW Golf trunk for my needs, and managed to save several pairs of shoes.

I traveled in my hi top baseball shoes, mostly because we took the dog with us and left him with my mother in law along our way.  I didn't really take photos of myself during those three days, so I can't show you the full outfits, but I did take photos of the saved shoes, for future reference.
So, first off, the baseball shoes:
Aren't they oh so stylish? No, I don't think they are either. But I do wear them a lot.


Once there I changed into a skirt and kitten heels. This was, in retrospect, not a very clever idea seeing how it got really really cold at night and I froze my getaway sticks almost completely off.





Saturday was the main event day, and I changed into my costume- Sandman's sister- Death. We had our (almost) traditional coffee in the small fortified city of Motovun, and I braved the steep, cobbled streets in my New Rock boots.

They aren't as heavy as they look, though they did provide me with a good workout. 



While we didn't have lunch in Motovun, which I regret a bit, especially since the whole town seemed permiated by a distinct fragrance of truffles the city is famous for, we did go to the pizzeria we always visit for their amazing "white" pizzas. Mine was with wild asparagus, while husband opted for the funghi and truffles one.
We returned to Zagreb on Sunday, but not before a final attempt at a cup of coffee right outside the con grounds:

I'm the one on the far left, with the red bandana and a very tired look on my face. It was quite a weekend.


We made two stops in Rijeka on our way back. One was to pick up the dog, where my mother in law also gave me a present: A new pair of shoes!



And I was trying so hard to be good and not buy any new ones, but it seems new shoes are my destiny, one way or another.
The second stop was to visit the brother in law who gave us delicious cheese and 3 bottles of white wine he made in his small winery. I hid them away the moment we got home, because otherwise it would have vanished within two days. My brother in law's white wine tends to have an amazingly short shelf life in this household...
I also came back with several new books, as always, and can't wait to find the time to read them.

1 comment:

Goga said...

You have a very good mother in law!